nfbin in gpcal

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

saracmbr

nfbin in gpcal

Post by saracmbr »

Hi There,
I've just updated my miriad. it seems that nfbin is no longer available in the "gpcal" and while I tried this version of "gpcal", the solution is a completely different compare with the previous version of gpcal with "nfbin". The solution of newer version is terrible.

Is there any reason for excluding nfbin out of "gpcal"?

Cheers,
Sara
ste616
Site Admin

Re: nfbin in gpcal

Post by ste616 »

Hi Sara,

Can you bit a bit more specific here please about the version that gpcal is reporting, what type of computer you are using, and where you got the latest version of Miriad from? I have just checked on kaputar (which always has the latest version) that gpcal still has nfbin, and it does. If your version does not have nfbin, this is an error and we'll need to investigate this further in case our distributions have become corrupt.
cheers
Jamie Stevens
ATCA Senior System Scientist
saracmbr

Post by saracmbr »

Hi Jamie,

I'm sure that it is the latest version since the new task uvfmeas is working. I downloaded a binary distribution from :
ftp://ftp.atnf.csiro.au/pub/software/miriad

I'm using ubontu X64. The reported version of gpcal is :Gpcal: version 1.0 03-May-2010

Please have a look at the distribution.

Cheers,
Sara
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Hi Sara,

I checked the latest distribution file for linux64 (dated 19-jul-2012):
wget ftp://ftp.atnf.csiro.au/pub/software/mi ... 64.tar.bz2

and extracted gpcal - it reports:

gpcal: Revision 1.13, 2012/02/20 04:05:37 UTC

So unless there was a brief problem with the distribution which fixed itself, it seems there is a problem with your installation. Is it possible you have two versions of miriad installed and the old one is picked up first?
You could check your PATH variable, run 'which gpcal` and run gpcal with the full pathname to see what is going on.
Please let us know what you find.

Cheers,

Mark
saracmbr

Post by saracmbr »

Hi Mark,

There is also another problem with my pgflag. In previous versions I used to press d and then press , key to fiddle the amplitude scale and to set the max value and press key v to flag the data and it was doing a great job flagging the RFI. In current version I did the same but it says that it has flagged large amount of data like more than 60% which is not correct. Why it's not working that way any more? the report is:
pgflag: CVS Revision 1.4, 2012/04/20 13:08:39 UTC

Cheers,
Sara
ste616
Site Admin

Post by ste616 »

Hi Sara,

It is worrying that your pgflag spits out a CVS revision code, as the ATNF version of Miriad uses RCS. This suggests to me that you also have the CARMA version of Miriad installed on your machine, and your PATH is not set correctly to use the latest ATNF version. We have checked, and CARMA Miriad doesn't have a gpcal with nfbin, which may explain your original problem.
cheers
Jamie Stevens
ATCA Senior System Scientist
saracmbr

Post by saracmbr »

Hi Jamie,

I re-installed and removed all the old PATH. I've got the latest version of gpcal which has the nfbin and pgflag now reports as :pgflag: Revision 1.19, 2012/07/05 02:15:58 UTC. I still have the same problem with pgflag.

Are you sure that nothing has changed in pgflag. Key "v" dose not work that way used to work.

Cheers,
Sara
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Hi Sara,

you we're right - the 'v' command in pgflag was broken. Thank you for alerting us to this problem.
It has now been fixed. Note that the behaviour will still be different - only a flagging percentage appears instead of the list of flagged pixels.

The new version (1.20) should be available for download tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark