uvglue having problems with nfiles>1000?

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

Arpad

uvglue having problems with nfiles>1000?

Post by Arpad »

Hello, and sorry for bothering you again :)

Still working on my Cabb data, but now I've got a problem with uvglue.

First, I used uvaver to split a dataset into 2049 different datasets, each containing exactly one channel with 1 MHz of bandwidht. After some work, I decided to put it back together and found that uvglue can do the job.
Then, when I imaged the field, I saw that for some strange reason there were 4 point sources instead of 2. To find out why, I imaged different chunks and found that the two "new" sources came into existence after I imaged more than around 1000 channels. To find out exactly what is going on I imaged each channel separately and found that around channel 1000 the point sources seem to do a jump. My fear was that there is something wrong with the data.
Then I tried to find out if uvglue has a problem.

I imaged the dataset from the single channel form, when it was not put back together with uvglue, and in these images, there seems to be no jump.
After watching carefully, I noticed that the output of uvglue was something like:
processing test_1
processing test_2
processing test_998
processing test_999
processing test_100
processing test_100
processing test_100
processing test_100
processing test_100
processing test_100
processing test_100
processing test_100
processing test_100
processing test_101

First I thought that it may be just an error in printing the number, but since after channel 1000 the sources jump (for whatever reason), I guess that uvglue really uses _100 again instead of _1000? Could this be a possibility?

Thanks,
Arpad
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Re: uvglue having problems with nfiles>1000?

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Hi Arpad,

yes, uvglue was limited to 3 characters for the sequence number. I've extended it to 5 now. It may take a day or two to show up since todays rebuild has already happened.

Cheers,

Mark
Arpad

Post by Arpad »

Hi Mark,

Thank you, that was quick.

In the meantime I noticed that one can get around this if uvglue is used 3 times, creating chunks with 683 channels each and then gluing the resulting datasets together.

will the updated uvglue be available in the downloadable binary package of miriad or will I have to compile it myself?

Best Regards,
Arpad
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Hi Arpad,

the update should appear in the binary distribution by Thursday night.

Cheers,

Mark