SIGILL Errors

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

CJRiseley

SIGILL Errors

Post by CJRiseley »

Hi folks,

I'm a fairly new Miriad user (tinkered with it a bit in the past, but not to any great extent -- much more familiar with CASA) and I've installed Miriad on my own machine (MacBook Pro, running Mavericks) from source code using the most up-to-date version. I've got the most recent version of pgplot (5.2.2), and gfortran v4.9.1 (Homebrew'd).

Everything seems to be working correctly, with the exception of any task involving plotting. Running (for example) uvplt gives me a SIGILL: Illegal instruction error followed by 13 error codes. It would seem that the issue is occurring when uvplt tries to generate the plot itself -- my terminal still prints the "baseline X - Y, plot Z points" messages, then the error occurs.

Has anyone encountered this? If so, have you managed to figure out the issue and solve it?

Cheers!
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Re: SIGILL Errors

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Hi Chris,

we've seen SIGILL errors appearing since we upgraded the Miriad build machine to 10.9 (Mavericks). The suspicion is that the libraries we link against and distribute with the binary distribution are incompatible with earlier OS versions, and it seems from your account, building from source on Mavericks. We're trying out a fix of the pgplot library and if that fails we'll likely revert to an older build machine to generate the binary distribution.

To others reading this: Chris managed to get a working system by wiping out his miriad install and recompiling rpfits, wcslib and miriad from scratch.

Cheers,

Mark