Cross applying flags between baselines

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

and460

Cross applying flags between baselines

Post by and460 »

Hi guys,

I want to take the existing flagged channels and times from a given baseline and polarization and cross-apply them to all other baselines and polarizations: e.g. select Stokes I on baseline(1)(2), then apply the flags for each flagged channel and time to Stokes I, Q, U & V on every other baseline.

As far as I can tell, UVAFLAG should do this. Using the target visibility set lmc_s14_flaggingtarget.2100, and an exact copy of it for the template lmc_s14_flaggingtemplate.2100, then running with options = freq,nopol --- i.e.

uvaflag% inp
Task: uvaflag
vis = lmc_s14_flaggingtarget.2100
tvis = lmc_s14_flaggingtemplate.2100
select = ant(1)(2)
options = freq,nopol,noapply

I get:

uvaflag% go
Uvaflag: $Revision: 1.5 $, $Date: 2012/04/17 02:08:46 $
Correlations: Total Good Bad
Before: 22129200 15146220 6982980
After: 22129200 15146220 6982980

I.e. No change at all. In fact, I don't get any change in the flagging at all no matter what I put in for options or select.

Am I doing something wrong here, have I misunderstood how the task works, or is it broken? Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Craig.
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Re: Cross applying flags between baselines

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Hi Craig,

yes I think you are reading things correctly, the freq option should let you apply the channel flags from the first baseline to all baselines. I can't find my test data from 2 years ago when I implemented this feature, but I'll have a look to see if I can make it work and let you know.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Re: Cross applying flags between baselines

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Hi Craig,

I've just tested uvaflag on a small uv file and it seems to work as advertised for me. I flagged a section of the spectrum with blflag in baseline 1-3, then used uvaflag with select=ant(1)(3) and options=freq,nopol and it correctly flagged the corresponding data in the other baselines.
I'm happy to have a look at your data if you can't make it work.

Cheers,

Mark