Converting Miriad data into MeasurementSet form

Want to use CASA with CABB data? We can help each other!

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

ste616
Site Admin

Converting Miriad data into MeasurementSet form

Post by ste616 »

A new casacore task has been created recently, called importmiriad, that takes a Miriad data set and converts it to a MeasurementSet for use in casapy.

To support easy use of this task, a new Miriad task called uv2ms is now available.

This is a very easy task to use, as it only has three inputs: the name of the input Miriad dataset, the name of the output MS, and an optional flag to make Miriad fill in the MS weight table using the system temperatures.

The MeasurementSets that this task produces have been shown to work well in casapy. It should be possible to process the MS entirely within casapy, however there is still no other way of loading the data other than Miriad's atlod task.
cheers
Jamie Stevens
ATCA Senior System Scientist
Yanett

Re: Converting Miriad data into MeasurementSet form

Post by Yanett »

At the moment the miriad task uv2ms is not supported in Mac OS X

The solution for the moment is to use a Linux machine. At CASS Kaputar or Serpens, for example, can be used to convert uv to ms files.
deOmair

Post by deOmair »

thank you for help..
Join online MB7-701 exam dumps and Test King to pass pmp dumps exam in first bc Our best quality www.ku.edu and Hood College
mcoriat

Post by mcoriat »

I have installed miriad (linux64 binary) on Ubuntu 14.04 but can't get uv2ms to work. When I try to launch the task by typing "go" at the terminal prompt it replies:

go: No such file or directory
go: Failed to exec the subprocess

(same as on Mac OS X by the way)

Should I install miriad from source?
Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your help !
ste616
Site Admin

Post by ste616 »

Hi,

Is this the only task that doesn't work in your Miriad?
cheers
Jamie Stevens
mcoriat

Post by mcoriat »

Hi Jamie,

yes, this is the only task that doesn't work. Note however that I am running Ubuntu through a virtual machine on my mac laptop. In principle it shouldn't make a difference wether I am running it through a VM or natively on a PC, but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks for your help !

Cheers

Mickael
ste616
Site Admin

Post by ste616 »

Hi Mickael,

It should be noted that uv2ms is only available in the 64 bit Linux version of Miriad. Are you using the 32 bit Linux version by any chance?
cheers
Jamie Stevens
mcoriat

Post by mcoriat »

Hi Jamie,

No, unfortunately I am using the 64 bit version...
mcoriat

Post by mcoriat »

Hi Jamie,

I have solve the issue. There was 2 problems basically. The first one is that I had a fresh installation of Ubuntu 14.04 which doesn't come by default with csh. As uv2ms is just a csh script the instruction "go" was not passed on properly to the script in the same way that typing things like "ls" or "pwd" at the Miriad prompt was not understood. So I had to install the csh package.

Then I tried again uv2ms and it complained that some shared libraries where missing, namely all the libcasa.* libraries as well as the libatlas.* libraries.
The libcasa.* libraries are all provided in the MIRIAD binary package under miriad/linux64/casacore/lib/ so it was just a matter of adding this path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the .bashrc
The libatlas.* related libraries were simply not provided by default in Ubuntu 14.04. The right package to install then is libatlas3gf-base.

uv2ms can then be launched. I tried on a multi-source miriad uv file (the output of atlod). Unfortunately it only found one source (the first one observed, 1934) while the documentation of uv2ms mention that it can handle multiple sources. Trying with only one source per file works well.

Cheers and thanks again for your help

Mickael
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Just an update on this:
uv2ms is now obsolete - from CASA 4.3.0 the recommended route is to use importmiriad in casa to convert Miriad data to a MeasurementSet directly, or use (Miriad) fits to export to uvfits and (CASA) importuvfits to load the data.

If you notice any problems with importmiriad you can report them here and we'll try to get the fix in the next CASA release.

Cheers,

Mark