Ubuntu compiling problems

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

Stephan

Ubuntu compiling problems

Post by Stephan »

I just wanted to let you know I found 2 problems (and solutions) in my quest to get Miriad installed on my laptop. I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.04, GCC 4.5.2 (package 4.5.2-8ubuntu4), 32 bit (mirarch "linux")

When compiling RPFITS it goes for the wrong Fortran compiler, so this required changing the following 2 values in GNUmakefile to:
FC := gfortran
FFLAGS := -g -O -fno-automatic -Wall -Wno-globals

Note that this is different than what the GNUmakefile says in it's comments. If I try that version of FFLAGS it crashes.

A second problem occurs when compiling Miriad, all with the latest sources. After a successful run of ./configure, the make command starts complaining halfway through it's run that 'IMPLICIT UNDEFINED(A-Z)'. After looking this up online I found that ratty was supposed to deal with this problem automatically. But in the command call (as seen during the run of make) it uses "-s f77" (or g77, forgot which one) instead of "-s gfortran". I tried setting the F77 environment variable to gfortran, but to no avail. I ended up moving ratty to a different location and writing my own ratty which did nothing else than catch all the command line variables, change the right parameter to "-s gfortran" and call the real ratty. After that it worked perfectly. So should anyone suffer from one of these two problems, here's your quick fix.

If any developer wants more details on my system, let me know.
ste616
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu compiling problems

Post by ste616 »

Thanks for letting us know your experiences Stephan, and for giving us a great answer too!

It does look like there is a problem with Miriad compiling on some of the latest Ubuntu distributions though. I'll give this a shot myself (I use Ubuntu on all my personal machines too), and see if I can replicate or solve any of your problems without having to go to the lengths you had to.
cheers
Jamie Stevens
ATCA Senior System Scientist