miriad installation in a ubuntu linux pc

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

greggold

miriad installation in a ubuntu linux pc

Post by greggold »

I am planning to install miriad in a ubuntu linux PC, running ubuntu ver 11.1, 64 bit. I have installed miriad from the latest binary distribution several times, following instructions exactly, but when all is complete the miriad shell will not start. Between each attempt I did "rm -rf /usr/local/miriad" which I expect cleared the previous failed effort.
I have tried with the 32 bit and the 64 bit binaries.

Are there tweaks I can apply at this stage either to ubuntu or the installed binaries? How might I determine what has gone wrong?

Would updating my ubuntu help? Should I give up on the binary distribution and install from source code?
A google search showed bima miriad is often installed with scripts, are there any scripts that might assist with atca miriad? Is ubuntu linux a good choice of linux for a binary or source code installation?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Greg
ste616
Site Admin

Re: miriad installation in a ubuntu linux pc

Post by ste616 »

Hi Greg,

I'm pretty sure the problem here is that you haven't included the Miriad installation directory in your path.

Assuming that you are using bash as your terminal (as this is the default for Ubuntu), you should edit your ~/.bashrc file and include the following lines:

Code: Select all

. /usr/local/miriad/MIRRC.sh
export PATH=$PATH:$MIRBIN
As an aside, you should install tcsh as the Miriad shell relies on csh for some functions (like help).
cheers
Jamie Stevens
ATCA Senior System Scientist