pgplot hidpi retina type displays

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

Kingsley

pgplot hidpi retina type displays

Post by Kingsley »

Hi
I've recently got a new laptop, a linux running dell, with a screen resolution of 3200x1800.

My problem is that all the miriad pgplot windows (uvspec, pgflag etc) are all super small on the screen.

Is there any way to make them larger? I tried altering the default window size using window geometry in Xresources but this doesn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks for your help.
ste616
Site Admin

Re: pgplot hidpi retina type displays

Post by ste616 »

The following procedure works for me (I just tested it).

1. Insert the following line into your ~/.Xdefaults file.

Code: Select all

pgxwin.Win.geometry: 1000x400
Of course you will need to change the actual values "1000" (width) and "400" (height) in pixels to your preferred values.

2. You will then need to close your PGPLOT server window if one is running. Then you need to refresh your settings from the .Xdefaults file with:

Code: Select all

xrdb ~/.Xdefaults
The next time you start a PGPLOT window it should now have the size you specified. Each time you change the size in .Xdefaults you will need to redo step 2.

I hope this helps! BTW that's a nice screen resolution :) What Dell do you have?
cheers
Jamie Stevens
ATCA Senior System Scientist
Kingsley

Re: pgplot hidpi retina type displays

Post by Kingsley »

thanks Jamie, fixed it, capital W for win!

It's the new XPS 15 (9530) really excellent machine. Everything (other than the NFC) seems to work fine with linux, although ubuntu 14.04 LTS seems to be the only distro on which you can properly change the dpi to work with the screen.

Just needs and SSD now to speed things up a bit! 4 core i7 cores and 16gigs of ram can't help those loading times!