Options=fiddle in cgcurs/cgdisp

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

tg1989

Options=fiddle in cgcurs/cgdisp

Post by tg1989 »

Hi all,

Hopefully a quick and simple question. I've been trying to use the fiddle option found in cgcurs/cgdisp, but so far to no success. Whether it be a compiled or binary miriad install it doesn't seem to work. I've also tried it on ubuntu and osx systems. In all cases, when I activate the option in either cgcurs or cgdisp, they both go through the fiddle routine but there is no effect on display. Is there an known issue with this option or user error?

For context, I would like string a few tasks together in an imaging script to identify areas that could be further cleaned in a residual image. Essentially, my though is to invert -> define clean region with cgcurs -> mfclean -> restor mode=residual -> inspect with cgcurs -> goto step 2 if needed, else restor as normal. If I can get options=fiddle working, it may be easier to identify/define further clean regions as opposed to setting some arbitrary range when I got to inspect the residual image in cgcurs.

Thanks!
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Re: Options=fiddle in cgcurs/cgdisp

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Hi Tim,

yes, you're right, it doesn't work, it used to, but with the change from color-mapped displays to RGB color displays, pgplot and with it Miriad, seem to have lost their color fiddling ability. Some of the pgplot demo programs use fiddle, and they don't work either. The effect of color fiddling only shows up when the image is redisplayed. I tried to work around the problem by redisplaying the image automatically, but that only works for single panel plots. I can have another look at that, but alternatively you could use the image rms to set the display scale to something like -5,+10 sigma for the region setting.

Cheers,

Mark
tg1989

Re: Options=fiddle in cgcurs/cgdisp

Post by tg1989 »

Mark,

Thanks for that explanation, makes sense. Glad to know it wasn't user error or some improper system configuration.

I will run with your idea of plotting based on rms increments and see how it goes.

Thanks!