Buffer overflow in UVFIT

Is MIRIAD being a pain? Let us know your experience.

Moderator: Mark.Wieringa

bnorris

Buffer overflow in UVFIT

Post by bnorris »

Hi all,

I'm having a problem where UVFIT fails with the error `### Fatal Error: Buffer overflow'.
This occurs when giving it a modest amoutn of visibility data, say 2 hours of 9GHz data (with 1MHz channels). If I restrict the number of channels (using line) to only 500 channels, UVFIT will run, but I really want to fit to the whole set of visibilities at once.

Any ideas how to get round this - is there a way to allocate more memory to the buffer, for example?

Cheers
Barnaby Norris
ste616
Site Admin

Re: Buffer overflow in UVFIT

Post by ste616 »

Hi Barnaby,

You could try compiling your own version of Miriad - that's really the only suggestion I can offer unfortunately. The default memory allocated for the compiled version of Miriad is set by considering an average user's machine, and their requirements, but can be inadequate for many users.

You can download the source from the same place as you get the precompiled binaries, and you should look at the include file inc/maxdim.h in the Miriad tree. You might try increasing MAXBUF before compiling to see if that can fix your error.

Please let us know if you run into further problems!
cheers
Jamie Stevens
ATCA Senior System Scientist
Mark.Wieringa
ATCA Expert

Post by Mark.Wieringa »

Alternatively,

I often use uvflux with inputs like these:

Code: Select all

line     = chan,20,1,100,100
This reduces the internal storage requirements by a factor 20, but still uses most of the frequency information.

Cheers,

Mark
bnorris

Post by bnorris »

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I haven't yet been brave enough to try recompiling MIRIAD but'll try it and let you know how I go!

Cheers
Barnaby
hzhangshao2011

Post by hzhangshao2011 »

Hi,...
I also met this problem. And I tried to revise the head file inc/maxdim.h
and confiugre the miriad again following jamie's suggestions. what a pity, it still can not fix
the error.

Hui